|Black Belts||Affiliation||News||Web Sites||Contact Us|
RF right foot North face front from starting position LF left foot East face right from starting position RH right hand South face back from starting position LH left hand West face left from starting position
In Seipai there are many moves that can be interpreted differently.? Do not be bound by a single application, but use your imagination and find many applications for each move.?This kata emphasizes changing speeds, both fast and slow.?Make several sequences into a unit.? Combine techniques to form the applications.?The theme for Seipai is the variation of techniques.
1. Ready posture facing North.?Kamaete.
2. LF slowly steps back into 90 degree shikodachi (body faces W, head faces N).
∑ At the same time, LH circles clockwise, up/forward -then-down/middle (e.g., grabbing and pulling in), stopping at solar plexus (fingers pointing up, thumb facing in).
∑ At the same time, RH pulls back to left chest/shoulder (hand in shuto position, thumb near shoulder blade, arm bending at elbow), then straighten elbow to strike shuto so fingers point slightly down.?
∑ Stance and hands finish movement at the same time.
∑ APP:? fingers pressing down on inside collar bone pressure point
∑ APP:?LH grabs attackerís right wrist; RH circles under attackerís right arm; LF steps behind attacker;?pivot hips and RH presses down to throw
3. LF forward into left sanchin dachi facing N, hands clasp together in front of body, rotate hands counterclockwise and out until RH on top with RH punching towards NW (almost looks like a LH yoko uke).
4. RF forward into right sanchin dachi facing N, hands remain clasped, rotate hands clockwise until LH on top, LH punching towards NE.
5. RF slides forward into 45 degree shiko dachi (RF points N, LF point W), keeping hands clasped, right elbow strike up (elbow at shoulder height, hands clasped in front of solar plexus, RH on top).? Right elbow and eyes pointing NE.? Tension is in both shoulders (locked down), both wrists (rotated), and right elbow (striking).
ō APP:?LH is holding/trapping opponentís left punch, step in shikodachi, elbow strike to opponentís elbow.
6. LF slowly steps forward into kokutsu dachi
∑ At the same time, LH circles and blocks down in osae uke.
∑ At the same time, RH draws back to right shoulder, palm down, elbow and hand parallel to floor.?
7. Without changing stance, LH slowly blocks ura kake uke (LH circles counterclockwise palm up until fingers point up 45 degrees)
∑ Pivot hips quickly to left zen kutsu dachi body/head facing N.
∑ At same time, LH pulls back into chamber (palm up), RH shuto uchi with speed.
8. RF mae geri (N) with speed (hands donít move, they stay in position).
∑ After kick, RF steps back into shiko dachi (stance faces E, eyes face N).?As the stance finishes, left elbow horizontal strike with speed, RH pulls back into chamber palm up, both hands closed.
∑ LH riken with speed.
9. Pivot clockwise on LF into RF neko achi dachi facing S.?At the same time, LH goes under right elbow (fist closed, knuckles out) and RH gedan barai with closed fist (LH stays under right elbow).
∑ RH yoku uke, slow with intent.
∑ RH kake uke, slow with intent.
10. Pivot clockwise on RF to face NW in RF sanchin dachi.?
∑ At the same time LH circles counterclockwise 360 degrees (above and then under shoulder) then pulls back into chamber
∑ At the same time, RH closes into fist, right forearm circles down to just below chest level.
∑ Example:? if attacker punches with left chudan, block punch with RH kake uke. LF step towards attacker, pivot clockwise until back is pressed against attackerís body.?At the same time, circle left arm outside of attackerís arm and come underneath arm so left forearm traps attackerís arm underneath arm pit (left shoulder locks down to secure trap).?At the same time, RH rotates attackerís arm so palm is up, RH closes, then goes down against attackerís arm to break elbow.
∑ App1: opponent punches with RH, RF forward.?step to right side of opponent, use RH to lift opponents right arm over left shoulder and break.
∑ App2:? opponent punches with RH, RF forward.? Step to right side of opponent, use left arm to hook arm and trap opponentís arm under left shoulder, left forearm is leverage point. RH pushes down on wrist to break.
∑ App3:? opponent punches with RH, RF forward.? LF steps to right side of opponent, RH grabs opponentís right wrist, rotate wrist counterclockwise to expose elbow joint, left arm does vertical ridge hand strike to break elbow.
11. Pivot/spin on LF counterclockwise into RF sanchin dachi facing SE.
∑ At the same time, LF opens and circles counterclockwise face high then pulls into chamber open hand, palm up.
∑ At the same time, RH circles clockwise up-then-down (rotate shoulder),into finger tip strike to groin (fingers stay straight, donít bend).
12. LF takes sliding step toward SE corner into renoji dachi, medium speed, fluid.
∑ At the same time, both hands circle clockwise until RH strikes chin level with palm heel push and LF does osae uke.?Medium speed, fluid.
13. RF steps 180 degrees toward SE corner into shiko dachi (eyes look SE, body faces NE).
∑ At the same time, hands form ninoji position (open hand, RH on top near heart, LH underneath, both forearms parallel to floor, vertically separated by about a headís length).
14. RF quickly sweeps up to left knee, pull both hands to chamber, return to very low shiko dachi stance, double strike down towards floor with both fists in nakataka ken with speed/power, KIAI.
15. RF quickly steps back 180 degrees towards NW corner into shiko dachi (eyes look SE, body faces SW), LH gedan barai, RH in closed chamber.
16. The next four steps mirror the last four.?RF takes sliding step towards SW corner (eyes look SW, body faces SE)
∑ At the same time, both hands circle clockwise until LH strikes chin level with palm heel push and RF does osae uke.?Medium speed, fluid.
17. LF steps 180 degrees toward SW corner into shiko dachi (eyes look SW, body faces NW).
∑ At the same time, hands form ninoji position (open hand, LH on top near right chest, RH underneath, both forearms parallel to floor, vertically separated by about a headís length.
18. LF quickly sweeps up to right knee, pull both hands to chamber, return to very low shiko dachi stance, double strike down towards floor with both fists in nakataka ken with speed/power, KIAI.
ō The stance is as low as possible while keeping back straight.
19. LF quickly steps back 180 degrees towards NE corner into shiko dachi (eyes look SW, body faces SE), RH gedan barai, LH in closed chamber.
20. RF crosses in front of left, plants, pivot? on RF, and pull LF into left neko dachi facing N (slow, with intent)
∑ At same time, both arms circle together counterclockwise into RH furi uchi and LH yoku uke.
21. RF takes long sliding step in front of left, LF drags behind right into bensoku dachi facing N (right knee is bent, left knee is bent just behind right knee).
∑ At same time, both arms circle together counterclockwise into LH furi uchi and RH yoku uke (with speed).
22. Without stepping, pivot counterclockwise 90 degrees into left sanchin dachi and block left kake uke, medium speed.?Finish stance and block at the same time.?Eyes look E, body faces E.
∑ Pivot hips clockwise so body is facing S but eyes look E, LH haraiotoshi uke closed fist, fast.
∑ Without moving, LH riken, fast.
∑ Pivot back so body faces E, RH yoku uke, LH back to chamber, fast.
∑ Keeping hands in position,?RF mae geri, fast.
∑ RF steps back 180 degrees into shiko dachi (body faces S, eyes look E), LH shita zuki (nakataka ken) RH is in middle of chest with fingers up, fast.
23. Keeping RF planted, move LF partially up into right sanchin dachi and block right kake uke, medium speed.?Finish stance and block at the same time. ?/span>Eyes look W, body faces W.
∑ Pivot hips counterclockwise so body is facing S but eyes look W, RH haraiotoshi uke closed fist, fast.
∑ Without moving, RH riken, fast.
∑ Pivot back so body faces W, LH yoku uke, RH back to chamber, fast.
∑ Keeping hands in position,?LF mae geri, fast.
∑ LF steps back 180 degrees into shiko dachi (body faces S, eyes look W), RH shita zuki (nakataka ken), LH is in middle of chest with fingers up, fast.
24. LF steps S (directly S of right foot), pivot 180 degrees to face N, drag right foot into right neko ashi dachi, both hands in ninoji position with right hand on top (medium speed, fluid). Eyes look N and straight ahead (donít look down).
25. RF steps back into left neko ashi dachi, hands grab, rotate clockwise, and strongly pull into body (one application is twisting head and pulling it down toward ground).Eyes look down at 45 degree angle.
ō App:?Grab both of the attackerís hands;?step behind attacker while pivoting 180 degrees to face attackerís back; sink into nekoachi dachi and pull arms down toward front knee to pull attacker backwards (head first)
26. Without changing stance, both hands circle outward, RH tetsui uchi into left palm with power (envision opponent on back and striking the sides of the thead with your hands).
|Copyright 2006 Amber Area YMCA Goju-Ryu Karate|