|Black Belts||Affiliation||News||Web Sites||Contact Us|
The following are some notes on instruction by Kiyoshi Brad Smith
· Brad asks a lot of questions, engages the people before providing answers. I want to do more of this. He will say before a particular drill, tell me about ..
· Brad provides a lot of wisdom & knowledge about karate and its origins, about the personalities, about GKK
· Gaze keep very steady and towards the line of attack, dont look down!
· Sanchin where does it come from (China fisherman stance, south). What is it about? Basic foundation for goju. Belly tight, hips forward, shoulders compressed
· Shikodachi where does it come from (China horse stance, north)
· Get your stance, then hold it! No wobbling. He will do a stance right, then do it wrong, ask, what did I do? the cat, not the elephant.
· Zen kutso dachi 60-40 wt distribution. Dont lean and dont angle. Make stance by putting lead foot 3 foot lengths ahead. 3 points of power: (1) front knee bent perpendicular to floor,(2) back leg locked, (3) belly tight. the cat, not the elephant.
· Keep stances squared forward, especially zen kutso dachi. Resist tendency to lean.
· Order Brad runs a drill first slow then fixes stances, then strong repetition; then engages class in discussion of what hes seen, perhaps a correction. Then run drill again.
· Age uke forearm should be at middle of forehead
· Seiken zuki two theories of penetration: (1) drive fist to backbone; (2) penetrate 1/4 by locking & squeezing down shoulders at the instant of contact. Loose before.
· Mai geri kicking
· Turn in sanchin, kosa dachi: step parallel across with blade of foot, with same distance; bend knees, back knee fits into front knee. Then mawate, hip rotation drives upper body.
Turn in shiko dachi and zen kutso dachi same principles: step
across, keep width correct, stay low, turn with hip rotation.
· Sanseiru 1st 3 punches slow & hard, like sanchin, then clear move; then explode. To set up for kansetsu geri, bring knee up high, close to fist and elbow. Hold for a second, then fire out kick & turn quickly
· Seiunchin does not bring press block down immediately; hit stance, then press. Does not care about hand angle in larynx strike; does care about finger closing order.